LONG LOST LAKE TOWNSHIP
March 11, 2008
Citizens present: Babe Mortenson, Marv Mortenson, Ruth Johnson, Ardell Johnson, Jon Jennings, Bob VonHalen, Loren Bergerson, Greg Scherzer, Ron Crabtree, David Johnson, Nancy Johnson, Richard Toomey, Kathy Toomey, Dorothy Eckhoff, John DeBauce, Jim Svobodny
1. Meeting called to order by M. Mortenson, clerk (7:05 PM) Each citizen was provided with a packet containing, the agenda, 2007 minutes, 2007 year end financial report and proposed budget for 2009.
Board Members where introduced
Citizens reminded of fall election and the board positions up for election
Reviewed the purpose of the meeting and gave an overview of the handout
2. Moderator: Nominations called for; Jon Jennings nominated Jim Svobodny. No other nominations voiced, Babe Mortenson moved nomination closed. Jim Svobodny’s nomination confirmed by voice vote. Mr. Svobodny was given a few minutes to read and review the agenda and the citizens where asked to read the meeting minutes from last year.
3. Addition to Agenda: A safety concern of having a “designated” snowmobile trail on a township road was added. A student representative of the county 4 H program added.
4. Minutes: Motion to dispense with the reading of the minutes and approve the minutes of last year’s meeting as written, made by Loren Bergerson, second by Ardell Johnson, confirmed by voice vote.
6. Treasurer’s report. Motion to have a synopsis report of the LLL Township finances by the Clerk rather then a detailed reading of every line item, made by Loren Bergerson, second by Babe Mortenson, confirmed by voice vote. Marv Mortenson, Clerk gave a summary of the financial year as written in the packet of information. Motion to approve the report made by Babe Mortenson, second by Ardell Johnson, confirmed by voice vote.
5. Road Report by Ardell Johnson.
Mr. Johnson reviewed th projects that were completed in 2007 and what projects are being considered for completion in 2008. There were no questions or comments on any of the projects listed on the agenda and below.
- Projects completed in 2007
..Big Hill Rd, ditch and culvert repairs
..Seaberg Rd, ditch and culvert repairs
..Spraying road right of ways for brush and spotted nap weed
..Spot gravel Chimney Rd, McKenzie Rd, Big Hill Rd. (Contractor did not get
Seaberg Rd done before freeze up)
- Possible projects for 2008
..Spray road right of ways for brush and spotted nap weed
..Erosion repair on Seaberg Rd
..Remove blow down trees within road right of ways
..Graveling of township roads
6. Weed control report by Greg Scherzer. Mr. Scherzer had three concern reports that he brought to the county. 1. Infestation of thistles in county tree plantations. 2. Spotted nap weed in county gravel pits. 3. Spotted nap weed in right of way on County 39. County 39 was sprayed late in the summer but the other issues were not addressed.
Citizens were reminded by Mr. Scherzer to report to him of any noxious weed problems and to be diligent with weed control on their own property.
7. The official newspaper is the Farmers Independent of Bagley. The place of posting is on Seaberg Road. David Johnson, Town Board Chair, posts the monthly board minutes and notices of meetings.
8. Dick Toomey reviewed the budget for 2009 as written in the packet. There were no questions or concerns from the citizens.
9. Dick Toomey gave a detailed explanatio of how the Tax Levy and Township Road Gas Tax are determined. After questions were answered and some discussion, Loren Bergerson made a motion to set the levy for 2009 at $6,100.00, second by Ardell Johnson, confirmed by voice vote.
10. Next year’s Annual Meeting was set for 7:00 PM on Tuesday, March 10th, 2009.
Place to be determined by the LLL Town Board
- Citizens voiced their concerns on safety issues with snowmobiles running on township roads, especially Chimney Rd and McKenzie Rd, where they are actually part of a Designated Snowmobile Trail. Concerns were raised, but no possible solutions or thoughts on what should be done about the problem where offered.
- Sam Kerr, a student and a 4-H’er explained the 4-H project of sending students to Washington D.C. and asked the township to consider a donation to help cover the costs. Citizens asked several questions. Michael did a very good job of answering the questions and explaining the program.
12. Motion to adjourn by Loren Bergerson, second by Jon Jennings, confirmed by voice vote.
Adjourned at 8:10 PM
______________________________ Marv Mortenson, Clerk