Town Board Meeting of
LONG LOST LAKE TOWNSHIP
June 11, 2013
Present: Dave Johnson, Supervisor--Ardell Johnson, Supervisor--Greg Scherzer, Supervisor--Dick Toomey, Treasurer—Marv Mortenson, Clerk Citizens: Lowell Liebenow, Charis Cox, Jesse Cox, Ron Crabtree, Bonnie Crabtree, Bob VanHagen, Rex Kemmer, Gary Simonson.
A motion to dispense with the reading of the minutes and approve the minutes of the last regular meeting as written made by G. Scherzer, second by A. Johnson, passed 3-0.
Cash Balance of $21,717.34
Investments of 28,275.87
Motion to approve the treasurer’s report made by D. Johnson, second by G. Scherzer, passed 3-0.
$150.00 Mitch Shegrud
$ 75.00 County Hwy Dept
Motion to approve claims for payment made by G Scherzer, second by A. Johnson, passed 3-0
A. Traffic Sign Inspection and Record
The Traffic Sign Inspection has been completed. The form developed by the township appears to be adequate but may need adjustments in the future. The federal and state mandate to establish and implement a sign assessment / management method to maintain minimum levels of sign reflectivity and safety will be met by the adoption of this data. A motion to approve the township traffic sign inspection is made by D. Johnson, second by G. Scherzer, passed 3-0
A. Shoreline Trail.; Approach Concerns
-Rex Kemmer addressed the board with his concerns of the placement of a new approach to be installed on Big Hill Rd. He felt that the placement of this approach and new private road would be a hardship for the majority of the residents on Shoreline Trail. He is concerned with emergency vehicles being able to make the turn off of Big Hill Rd onto Shoreline Trail during the snow season. He presented a petition with signatures of 8 people, representing 5 properties that now opposed the approach and wanted their names removed from the original approval petition.
-Gary Simonson spoke expressing his concerns about the same issues.
-Other residents present expressed the point of view that these concerns are present now with the approach being closer to the bottom of the hill.
-Lowell Liebenow stated that he did not see the new approach to be any more a problem than the old and it allows for the Cox’s to have full use of their property. The other citizens present supported this view. The principal property owners adjacent to and those whose land the new road crosses are in agreement of support
- the original petition, letters of support and people present at the Aug. 21, 2012 meeting represent all but 2 parcels of land with no objections to the new approach and road.
After listening to all arguments and discussion of the new approach.: A motion to confirm the board’s decision of August 21, 2012, to approve the new approach on Big Hill Rd as requested by Claris and Jesse Cox was made by D.Johnson, second by G. Scherzer, passed 3-0
B.Road Inspection Tour Results- The May road inspection was completed by the town supervisors. The town roads are generally in good condition, with the exception of three clay hills on McKenzie Rd. One is located near the Svobodny driveway, the second location being the first hill north of the Svobodny drive, the third location just north of Rambo’s drive.
- - Road Projects: A motion to approve a truck load of gravel (10 to 12 yds) be spread on each of these three hill was made by G.Scherzer, second by A. Johnson passed 3-0. A. Johnson will call a couple of contractors to get the best price. Dave Johnson will contact LaPraire township about the cost and payment of their share.
- - Request by county hwy dept. to deal with “Tight Trees”: Dave Johnson will contact the county for clarification on the document sent to us by the county.
- - Sanding of Big Hill: It is imperative that we find a reliable source for the sanding of the big hill on Big Hill Rd. Dave Johnson will check with the county again to see if they still use salt in their sand.
- - Mowing of the town road edges: Dave Johnson will talk to the proper county official to request the mowing and that it is done earlier than last year’s mowing.
- - Replacement of inadequate traffic signs: The traffic sign inspection identified 5 stop signs and 1 stop ahead sign that are in need of replacement. The board also will install a steep grade sign on the big hill located on Big Hill Rd. The ITS company of Walker, MN said they could replace the signs, post and dispose of the old for approximately $225.00 per sign. They stated the signs would meet all of the standards for safety. Dave Johnson will check with the county hwy dept. to determine a cost/sign if they do the work. A motion to authorize Dave Johnson to order the sign replacement by either the County Hwy Dept. or ITS at $250.00 per sign was made by G.Scherzer, second by A. Johnson, passed.
C. Forest Rd maintenance: Supervisors Dave Johnson and Ardell Johnson attended a meeting on May 21, 2013 concerning the ongoing maintenance of forest rds by the DNR and county. The Long Lost Lake Town supervisors encouraged the spaying of Spotted Knapp weed. The complete summary of that meeting is on file with the township clerk.
A. Follow up on road projects
B.Property Tax Levy Certification
D. Johnson made a motion to adjourn, G.Scherzer seconded, passed 3-0 at 9:31 pm.